When reading a warning label on a chainsaw, it said: “Do no attempt to stop chain saw with hands.” What a silly product warning label. Like the one on an iron, that said: “Do not iron clothes while they are being worn.” A bottle of sleeping pills that warn: “May cause drowsiness.” The sun shield in your car that warns: “Do not drive with sun shield in place.” And the best for last, wheelbarrow: “Not for street or highway use.”
No doubt these warnings are to protect the makers from lawsuits. But I really suspect many of them, are from long experience of having to deal with crazy customers who have done these things. Someone probably did try to finger break a chain saw or push someone down a highway in a wheelbarrow. I have no doubt that someone tried to drive with the sun shield in their window. Just peaking around the edges of it to see or even ironed shirt while wearing it.
To most people all these warnings sound absolute ridiculous. Yet to most of the world today, God’s laws sound silly or ridiculous. The 10 commandments say:
- Thou Shalt have no other God before Me Whom do you worship and pray to?
- Thou Shalt not make unto thee any graven images Do you think of biblical times of golden idols or wooden idols? Idols today: money, fame, power and control to a name of few.
- Thou Shalt not take the Lord’s name in vain What words come out of your mouth when you are angry?
- Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy How do you spend your Sundays?
- Honor thy Mother and Father Do you show respect to your parents?
- Thou Shalt not Kill Turn the news on, killings of family, neighbors, friends and even mass killings.
- Thou Shalt not comment adultery This has turned into a natural human desire, accepted in society.
- Thou Shalt not steal Have you ever taken anything that does not belong to you?
- Thou Shalt not bear false witness Have you told a lie that changed someone’s life?
- Thou Shalt not covet thy neighbors house, wife or possessions Do you try to keep up with the Jones’s wanting everything they have?
To some these sound like silly long ago rules that don’t apply for today. But just look at the ones you see daily. How would you feel if it is your loved one killed. Your wife or husband after 30 years of marriage leaves for greener pastures? Someone tells a lie that changes your life and how people see you? All you worked for is stolen and your left with nothing? Then God’s laws don’t sound so ridiculous.
The warning labels, may sound ridiculous to many. But they are needed by so many people. Just as these simple request from God may sound ridiculous to some but are greatly needed by all. I am grateful to a heavenly Father who anticipated what lunatics people can be and gave certain behaviors a strong warning label.
Lavender & Armour